1. How to submit my research paper? What’s the process of publication of my paper?
The journal receives submitted manuscripts via email only. Please submit your research paper in .doc or.pdf format to the submission email: ijlbpr@ejournal.net.
You’ll be given a paper number if your submission is successful. Your paper then will undergo peer review process, which may take approximately one and a half months under normal circumstances, three tops.
After blind peer review, you will receive the notification letter with the review result of your paper...
2. Can I submit an abstract?
The journal publishes full research papers. So only full paper submission should be [Read More]

Morphological and Genetic Variations in Wild and Hatchery Populations of Gonia (Labeo gonius, Hamilton) Using Truss Measurement and Allozyme Markers

Afroza Begum, Md. Mukhlesur Rahman Khan, Kamrun Nahar, Maruf Hossain Minar, Nargis Sultana, and Mohd. Golam Quader Khan
Department of Fisheries Biology and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
Abstract—The morphological and genetic variations of wild and hatchery stocks of Gonia Labeo gonius (Hamilton, 1822) were studied based on morphometric measurements, meristic counts and allozyme analyses. Samples were collected from two rivers (the Brahamaputra and the Bulla), two haors (the Mithamoin and the Kotiadi) and one Hatchery of Bangladesh. Significant differences were observed in nine ( L F , L S , L H , D E , L Po , D HB , D LB , L Pc and L A ) out of 13 transformed morphometric measurements and 13 (1-2, 1-11, 3-10, 3-8, 4-5, 4-10, 4-7, 5-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10, 10-11 and 11-12) of 25 truss network measurements and five (pectoral fin rays, anal fin rays, caudal fin rays, scales above lateral line and scales below lateral line) of eight meristic counts among the samples ( P \<0.05). Discriminant Function Analysis (DFA) of morphometric and landmark measurements showed that the first DF accounted for 43.1% and the second DF accounted for 27.1% of among-group variability and together they explained 70.2% of the total among-group variability. Allozyme markers analysis of the same populations showed that the lowest pair-wise population differentiation ( F ST ) (0.026) and highest gene flow ( Nm ) (9.323) were found between the Kotiadi and the Hatchery populations indicating close relationship among them. The UPGMA dendrogram (Nei, 1987) constructed from Nei¡¯s (1972) genetic distance showed that five populations formed separate sets of clusters. The present study revealed that the lower level of morphological differences was existed among the five populations of L. gonius but the genetic analyses indicated considerable variability among the stocks. Nonetheless, genetic analysis showed that these levels were significant and the population structure should be analyzed using markers able to detect a greater degree of population differentiation.

Index Terms—Landmark, Allozyme electrophoresis, Stock identification, Genetic differentiation, Genetic conservation, Gene flow

Cite: Afroza Begum, Md. Mukhlesur Rahman Khan, Kamrun Nahar, Maruf Hossain Minar, Nargis Sultana, and Mohd. Golam Quader Khan, "Morphological and Genetic Variations in Wild and Hatchery Populations of Gonia (Labeo gonius, Hamilton) Using Truss Measurement and Allozyme Markers," International Journal of Life Sciences Biotechnology and Pharma Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 204-221, April 2013.
Copyright © 2012-2015 International Journal of Life Sciences Biotechnology and Pharma Research, All Rights Reserved